Difference between waste heat recovery boiler and HRSG
1. WHR Boiler deals with highly particulate flue gas. The place where burnt hot Ash at very high temperatures needs to be cooled down before its properly disposed.Itrequires Electrostatic Precipitator and ID Fan as every other boiler.
2. HRSG deals with Hot exhaust Gas of Gas Turbines which is used to heat Water. The exhaust gas is less particulate and can be vented through chimney.
3. While in other boilers Combustion takes place solely for its own steam generation, WHR Boiler Combustion is done for different purpose but the flue gas is used to produce steam.
HRSG Waste heat recovery boiler Applications
1. Heat recovery can be used extensively in energy projects.
2. In the energy-rich Persian Gulf region, the steam from the HRSG is used for desalination plants.
3. Universities are ideal candidates for HRSG applications. They can use a gas turbine to produce high reliability electricity for campus use.
4. The HRSG can recover the heat from the gas turbine to produce steam/hot water for district heating or cooling.
5. Large ocean vessels (e.g. Emma Maersk) make use of heat recovery so that their oil-fired boilers can be shut down while underway.